Saturday, September 4, 2010

Haunted Gettysburg Ghost Tours



As I expected, there's a ludicrous quantity of printed ephemera being tossed around at this convention, so I have plenty of fodder for this design blog, and you get to see me use spooky and horror-related examples for the foreseeable future. Lucky you.

I'm not very impressed by most of this card, mainly because it contains too many fonts used inconsistently. Despite this, I really like the logo up at the top. It's a perfect example of reversible figure and ground, as the churchyard appears as a black silhouette, but the blackness then extends seamlessly downwards and becomes the stable ground against which we read the text. The presence of the eyes in the logo makes it even more ambiguous, because we can't determine whether we're seeing a face with a churchyard in front of it or giant eyes floating in the sky. Even if the rest of the card is flawed, the logo is very good design in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment