Monday, September 13, 2010

Glow Sticks



I boosted the saturation on this photo to better portray the day-glow colors, but I think I may have overdone it a bit. Oh, well. I'm posting this flyer to point out its use of a couple of the basic principles of design, namely repetition and alignment.

The photo boxes make good use of repetition. Each is the same size, with the same colors in the border, background and text. It's obvious they're meant to be considered as a group, each presenting a different example of the products this company sells, and none is more important than any other. It may be unimaginative, but it conveys the message efficiently.

But something interesting shows up when we look at those same boxes in terms of alignment. We expect them to be lined up, evenly spaced and aligned at the top and bottom, but they're not. Each box is slightly tilted at a different angle. The designer of this flyer, I think, is deliberately subverting the usual rules of alignment in order to better evoke sensations of fun and excitement. That strikes me as a pretty good idea when you're selling glow sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment