Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Disagreeing With the Professor

In this blog post, Megan posts a LensCrafters ad as an example of good design:



She says, "it is subtle and inviting. the monochromatic color scheme draws you in and allows their use of icon to stand out." I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this one. That blue palette looks way too much like the color correction scourge that has plagued Hollywood horror movies in recent years: 5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look The Same. I've developed an almost Pavlovian response to it. Where Megan sees "subtle and inviting," I see a really bad remake of Village of the Damned.

(And what do you know? There already was one.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Nathan. You're always welcome to disagree with me! And thanks for sharing the trends article... it's sadly true.

    In defense of my selection, I will use color theory and argue that a monochromatic color scheme is clean and elegant... it creates a feeling a balance... of unity. Also, blue evokes feelings of stability, intelligence and trust. Those theories help to make this design more successful.

    I will say that just because it is overdone in one genre, doesn't make it poor design in another. I think their goal to get their new campaign across comes through well and would have been hindered by using the full color of the original image.

    ReplyDelete