Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Type-Only Solutions



"Successfully" uses type only as a solution, eh? I suppose it all depends on your definition of success.

The item on top was yet another advertising card left on a table. It does, indeed, succeed in informing me of the existence of ScreamFreak.com, but it does not succeed in telling me what it is, or giving me any reason to want to go there. (If you don't feel like following the link, it's a crudely designed site about Halloween haunted houses in Virginia.) I do like the design of the text, though. The font for "Scream Freak" is tall, uneven and distressed, which brings a very clear Halloween/horror message, and the yellow letters with a red glow on the black background really pop nicely. I just wish that the card had given me more useful information at first glance. (Incidentally, the reverse is a brightly colored ad for the company that printed the card for free.)

The lower item is a bumper sticker I borrowed from my wife, a big fan of the color purple (no connection to the Ravens). The all-text design works in this case, since it's meant to be seen on a car, and adding illustration would only make the message harder to read. The background is purple (because what other color could it be?) and the text is white, which contrasts clearly and legibly. I might, however, have picked a different font, perhaps something without serifs, to make it even clearer at a distance.

2 comments:

  1. Unrelated: how was MUTTER?! I won't be in class Thursday so don't forget I want details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mutter ruled! I'll tell you all about it on Monday.

    ReplyDelete